The earth has given us so many resources to heal ourselves internally. Developing a deeper understanding of natural medicine, meditation, and holistic healing is a primary point of focus in my life. The things that we eat have such a drastic impact on our health, mood, and overall state of mind. Because of this, I love sharing recipes and foods that fill the world with more healthy, happy people. Adding more raw fruits and vegetables into your diet has immense health benefits. I don't eat a completely raw diet, but I typically incorporate raw foods into most of my meals throughout the day. When we cook our food, we inevitably destroy some of the enzymes, vitamins and minerals necessary for good health. If we eat too many overly-cooked, microwaved, or processed foods, they can clog our colon, and lead to a host of complications, including, cancer, heart-disease, diabetes and many other degenerative illnesses. Overcooking our food robs it of its essential nutritional value. When we eat foods that are alive, we are able to embody that life force ourselves, gaining increased energy and productivity.
Anyone who knows me is familiar with my love for kale. I love to eat it cooked, raw, in my green smoothies, and pretty much any other way that I can incorporate it. Not only is kale delicious, but it's filled with amazing nutritional benefits. This leafy green gem is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. It provides an excellent source of Vitamin C, and has powerful antioxidants that counteract the damage of free radicals in the body. The flavonoids in kale provide immense anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, anti-cancerous, and anti-depressant properties. The health perks of this all around superfood are undeniable. By combining it with the power of garlic, we have a match made in heaven. Garlic detoxifies the body and helps prevent sicknesses like the common cold. It also reduces blood pressure and improves cholesterol levels. It's only right that I commence my Health & Wellness series by sharing one of my favorite Raw Garlic Kale salad recipes. I love making this dish at home whenever I'm in the mood for some zesty green goodness alongside my meal. The best part is, it can be prepared in under 10 minutes in 5 easy steps!
Here's what you'll need...
- 1 bunch of raw organic kale that has been thoroughly washed, de-stemmed, and dried
- 2 tablespoons of organic tahini
- 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of organic lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of Bragg's Liquid Aminos (tamari sauce can be used as an alternative)
- 4 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic (2 cloves of garlic)
- 2 tablespoons of organic extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of organic balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Chop kale into small-medium sized pieces and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine tahini, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, liquid aminos, nutritional yeast, and minced garlic in a blender or food processor.
- Puree the liquid ingredients until smooth.
- Drizzle the liquid dressing all over your fresh kale.
- Toss kale until dressing mixture adequately coats all pieces.
At this point, you can either enjoy your Raw Garlic Kale now, or chill the salad in the refrigerator for about an hour. Chilling the kale salad gives it a chance to marinade in the dressing and slightly soften. This cruciferous vegetable is highly fibrous in texture when fresh. If you prefer your greens to be on the softer side, I highly recommend letting them chill and marinate before serving.
Feel free to add your favorite garnishes to the salad. I often like to throw in some wheat berries, fresh organic gala apple chunks, red onion, and cucumber. As a final touch, I top it off with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
There are many different ways to prepare this delicious dish. I switch up my recipes occasionally to try out new flavors and garnishes. Feel free to get creative if you have additional spices, marinades, or garnished that you love.
Enjoy your Raw Garlic Kale and let me know how you like it!